The student complaint grid indicates the sequence of opportunities for resolving student complaints. A student should initiate a complaint directly with the full range of appropriate individuals as  indicated on the Student Complaint Referral Grid. If a student is not satisfied with the solution posed through the Student Complaint Referral Grid, the student should make an appointment with the Vice President of Student Services and College Centers or the Dean of North County Campus and South County Center (NCC/SCC) or the Dean of Student Services to evaluate the next steps which may be the filing of a formal grievance.

The Vice President of Student Services and College Centers, the Dean of (NCC/SCC) or Dean of Student Services serve as a clearing-house for students dissatisfied with an experience on campus, who may not be knowledgeable about the appropriate steps to take, or the protocol to follow regarding a complaint. An initial meeting between the Vice President of Student Services and College Centers or designee and the student may result in a referral to the appropriate individual.* The Vice President of Student Services and College Centers or Dean of (NCC/SCC) or Dean of Student Services will contact the individual to whom the student is being referred to facilitate resolution.

While it is recognized that the grid represents the ideal sequence of opportunities for resolving student complaints, it is understood that when actual situations arise, the parties involved will use their best judgment regarding complaint resolution depending upon the availability of personnel and the immediacy of the problem.

Student Complaint Process and Referral Grid

Student Complaint Form

Student Grievance BP 6205

The next step beyond the complaint process may be the filing of a formal grievance depending upon the nature of the complaint.

A complaint is grievable if it is non-disciplinary and involves the process, application, or interaction of school policy—in other words, how something was done or processed. In general, a complaint is not grievable if it involves the content of existing policy.

For specific information regarding the Student Grievance Procedure, refer to Cuesta College Board Policy 6205.

*When a student has a complaint which involves (1) sexual harassment, (2) civil rights discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, race, national origin, religious beliefs, age, gender, color, physical or mental disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or marital status, or (3) retaliation for filing a sexual harassment or other unlawful discrimination complaint, referring a matter for investigation, participating in an investigation of a complaint, serving as an advocate for an alleged victim or alleged offender, or who otherwise furthers the principles of the District's unlawful discrimination policy (Policy 1565), then the matter is to be referred to the Executive Director of Human Resources and Labor Relations as such matters are to be handled pursuant to Policy 1565 (unlawful discrimination) and not as a student grievance.

Students have the right to pursue their complaint after completing the above complaint process with the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO).  CCCCO provides students and others with a method and process outside of the institution that takes, investigates and responds to complaints regarding the institution.  The link to the CCCCO process and form is   CCCCO has provided this disclosure  in compliance with the requirements of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, as regulated in CFR 34, Sections 600.9 (b) (3) and 668.43(b). 

Contact Kristine Wayland, Resolution Coordinator, for additional information on the Student Complaint Process  ph: 805 546-3976