The Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives up to $5000 annually of free mney to foster youth and former foster youth to use for college courses or vocation school training. The best part is you don't have to pay it back!

You must be enrolled in a:

• College or vocational school that is eligible
• Course of study at least half time
• Course of study that is at least one year long and is eligible (accredited)
• And you must maintain a C average or better

To potentially qualify you must:

Have been in California foster care on your 16th birthday, and not yet reached your 22nd birthday. The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18.

To apply, you must submit the following two forms either via online or paper application:

Free application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA (Self-addressed envelope is included with the FAFSA, or file online @


California Chafee Grant Program Application. Get an application online at Or you can call the Commission at 1-888-224-7268-#3 from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday to ask for an application. Send it to the Student Aid Commission.

You can write the commission at:

California Student Aid Commission, Specialized Programs
Attn: California Chafee Grant Program
P.O. Box 419029
Rancho Cordova, Ca 95741-9029

You can e-mail your questions to the Commission @ You can review general California Chafee Grant information by logging onto the Commission's website at


Foster Care Eligibility Form

More ways to pay for College fact sheet

Other Foster youth scholarships: – "Dare to Dream" Academic Scholarships – Foster Care to Success

Contact your ILP case manager with any questions you may have.