Federal Eligibility Criteria

To receive federal financial aid, the Department of Education requires that you MUST:

1. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen

2. Have a valid Social Security Number

3. Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate (if you are a home school graduate contact the financial aid office)

4. Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking associate degree or financial aid eligible certificate

5. Register with the Selective Service, if you are male. If you're a male U.S. citizen (or eligible noncitizen) between the ages of 18 and 26, you must register with the Selective Service.

6. Meet satisfactory academic progress standards.

7. Not be in default or delinquency on federal education loans, or owe any federal grant money to any institution.

8. Not be ineligible due to convictions for any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid.


California State Eligibility Criteria

  • Be California residents

  • Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens

  • Meet U.S. Selective Service requirements

  • Attend an eligible California qualifying postsecondary institution

  • Be enrolled at least half-time

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined at school of attendance

  • Have family income and assets below the established ceilings

  • Not be in default on any student loan

  • Not owe any federal or state grant refund


AB 540 Students

State legislation has recently approved changes to state aid for undocumented students who qualify as AB 540 students. Our website contains information about eligibility criteria and the Dream Act application process.

Elimination of the Ability to Benefit (ATB) Provisions

Students enrolling for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a High School Diploma, GED or state equivalent to be eligible for any federal financial aid. Students no longer have the option to pass an ATB test or to successfully complete 6 core/degree applicable units to gain eligibility for federal financial aid.