We encourage all students to apply using the FAFSA so that they will be considered for all of the federal and state financial aid programs. The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) is offered by the California Community Colleges. Applicants do not have to be enrolled in a specific number of units or courses to receive the BOGW. All BOG fee waiver recipients are required to pay the student health fee. If you apply and are eligible for the BOGW after you have paid your Registration Fees, your enrollment fee will be reimbursed. 

The BOGW can only reimburse you for the number of units in which you are enrolled at the time of the refund.

You are eligible to apply for a BOGW if you are:

  1. A California resident,

  2. You are enrolled in at least one unit, and

  3. You meet one of the following criteria:


Method A

Students are eligible if they:

  • Received need-based aid (TANF, CalWORKS, SSI or General Assistance payments) in 2013 or 2014  (or if dependent students, have a parent or Registered Domestic Partner (RDP) who receives this assistance); or

  • Have certification from the California Department of Veterans Affairs or the National Guard Adjutant General that the student is eligible for a dependent's fee waiver; or

  • Are recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor or children of a recipient; or

  • Are dependents of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack; or

  • Are dependents of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty


Method B

Eligibility is based on household size and total family income.

Family Income Standards for 2015-2016:

Family Size

2014 Income

















Each Additional Family Member



Method C

The 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application is required to be completed and processed for Method C (Undocumented AB540 students can use the California Dream Act application instead). A BOG C fee Waiver will be awarded to anyone with a financial need of $1,104 or greater (financial need is determined by subtracting the estimated family contribution from the student’s cost of attendance budget).


Fee Waiver Applications

We highly encourage you to apply for the BOG fee waiver by completing a FAFSA online, but if you should need a paper application for the fee waiver, you can find one here. Print out the application below, fill it out, and turn it in to our office.

2015-2016 Board of Governor's Fee Waiver Application (English)

2015-2016 Board of Governor's Fee Waiver Application (solicitud en español)