Message from the Executive Team
Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of Cuesta College’s remote operation in response to the pandemic. Over the course of the year, more than 3,800 racist attacks on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) have been reported. This week, the tragic killing of six Asian American women and two of their co-workers in Atlanta, brings the impact of hate to the forefront.
Cuesta College recognizes the importance of actively opposing systemic racism, intolerance, and injustice. Let us stand in solidarity and join in action to create a safe environment for every member of our campus community.
- Participate in Asian American Day of Action on March 26th: #StopAsianHate – a Virtual National Day of Action and Healing.
- Participate in Cuesta College’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Awareness month activities.
Please see the calendar of events.
- April 1, noon – 1PM Responding to Calls for Racial Justice - Our Responsibility for Equity Zoom link
Dr. Eric Felix, Assistant Professor, San Diego State University
- April 21, 3:30 – 4:30 PM #StopAAPIHate: Taking Action Against Anti-Asian Violence Zoom link
In partnership with Cal Poly SLO
- Report a hate incident at https://stopaapihate.org/
- Read and join the discussion on From Equity Talk to Equity Walk
- Reach out in support to a colleague, student, or friend who identifies as AAPI
It is important that we remain steadfast in our commitment to create an inclusive and supportive learning environment and to disrupt all acts of racism, bias, and hate whenever and wherever we encounter them. We must uphold our mission of inspiring a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals.
Dr. Jill Stearns, Superintendent/President
Dr. Elizabeth Coria, Interim AS/VP Student Success and Support Programs
Dr. Jason Curtis, AS/VP Instruction
Melissa Richerson, VP Human Resources
Dan Troy, AS/VP Administrative Services
Highway 1, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403