Equity Data Coaching
As stated in the 2019-20 Student Equity Plan Executive Summary, Cuesta College is committed to advancing racial equity and eliminating equity gaps in experiences and outcomes for Latinx and Black/African American students. As a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Cuesta College is focused on building the capacity of practitioners through professional development focused on developing the equity-minded and race-conscious knowledge and skills needed to address equity gaps.
In 2020-21, the Office of Instruction launched Cuesta College’s first Equity Data Coaching Program.
Equity Data Coaching Program:
The Equity Data Coaching Program provides monthly trainings to a cohort of faculty, staff, and managers seeking to deepen their equity knowledge and skillset to successfully champion current and future racial equity efforts on campus. The training activities develop knowledge and skills necessary to compile, analyze, and interpret racial equity data and provide opportunities for participants to practice difficult conversations about race, racism, and racial equity data through case study work.
Equity Data Coaches:
- Develop trusting relationships with other equity practitioners on campus
- Understand key equity terms and concepts
- Be proficient in using DE (disproportionate impact) tool to determine where gaps exist and for
- whom and access whether gaps are substantive beyond a margin of error;
- Analyze data using an equity-minded and race-conscious lends; and
- Feel confident in navigating difficult discussions about racial equity.
Meet Your Inaugural 2020-21 Equity Data Coaches:
Katy Dittmer, Psychology/ Social Sciences
Jeff Nachtigal, Languages/ Digital Communications
Sally Demarest, English
Mike Kinter, Math
Anthony Gutierrez, Student Life and Leadership
Silvio Favoreto, Biology
Kelli Gottlieb, Physical Sciences
For more information on data coaching, please contact the Office of Instruction: