DEGREES, CERTIFICATES & AWARDS
A.S., Medical Assisting
C.A., Medical Assisting
C.S., Medical Assisting
The Medical Assisting Program (MAST) prepares students for employment in medical offices and laboratories. Training is offered in front and back medical office management and in phlebotomy.
Medical Assisting training prepares the student for an entry-level position as a medical assistant. Students are taught basic and advanced clinical skills, verbal and written communication skills, medical office management techniques, and essential customer service skills required in professional employment settings. Hands-on externship experience is part of the training
Phlebotomy training prepares students in skills required for essential blood specimen collection needed to fulfill state phlebotomy certificate requirements. The graduate is prepared for employment in hospitals, independent labs, physicians’ offices or public health clinics. Hands-on externship experience is part of the training.
ASSOCIATE DEGREE and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
An Associate Degree, depending on the focus of study, is designed to prepare students for transfer into upper division course work in a bachelor’s degree program, or, to prepare students to enter the workforce in a particular vocational field. To qualify for an Associate’s Degree, a student must:
1) complete each major-specific course required for the degree with at least a "C" grade or better,
2) complete all Cuesta College general education, graduation and residency requirements,
3) achieve an overall grade point average of 2.0 for all courses attempted (major, general education, elective), and
4) submit an Associate’s Degree Application to Admissions and Records.
A Certificate Program is designed for students who desire specific training to meet an immediate occupational or personal goal, or for promotion or lateral transfer within their existing field of employment.
To qualify for a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of Specialization, a student must:
1) complete all courses required for the Certificate with an overall grade point average of 2.0,
2) earn at least 12 units in residency at Cuesta and
3) submit a Certificate Application to Admissions and Records.
|Medical front-office – administrative/clerical||Laboratory setting|
|Medical back-office – patient care||Hospital setting|
|Medical back-office – patient care||Medical offices|
|A.A. - Associate in Arts||C.A. - Certificate of Achievement|
|A.S. - Associate in Science||C.S. - Certificate of Specialization|
|A.A.-T. - Associate in Arts for Transfer||C.C. - Certificate of Completion (Non Credit)|
|A.S.-T. - Associate in Science for Transfer|