Requirements for Enrolled CNA Students
Student Enrollment Packet
Students registered in NAST 148/148L will receive an enrollment packet emailed to their my.cuesta email about one month prior to the start of class. This packet must be fully completed and submitted to the instructor on or before the first day of class (exceptions will be made only for students who are adding on the first day of class).
The student enrollment packet will include specific forms and instructions that will help students understand and comply with course requirements. Only these forms may be used. Certified Nursing Assistant students may not participate in patient care without a completed enrollment packet on file in the Nursing and Allied Health Department Office.
The California Department of Public Health requires a valid social security card/number for state certification purposes. For this reason, students enrolling in the CNA program at Cuesta must have a social security card in order to begin the program.
In addition to having a valid Social Security card, all CNA students must:
- complete and submit a Cuesta CNA Physical Exam form (provided in the enrollment packet).
- submit documentation of a recent negative 2-step TB skin test.
- submit a CNA Initial Application (form CDPH 2838, provided in the enrollment packet).
- have Live Scan fingerprints processed at Cuesta College (free of charge to registered students at the San Luis Obispo campus Public Safety office. A valid social security card and photo ID must be presented).
- submit a California Department of Public Health Application for Certification form (provided in the enrollment packet).
- provide verification of being able to lift 50 pounds repetitively and unaided (to be verified by healthcare professional during physical exam).
- obtain required uniform and student photo ID badge (details provided in the enrollment packet).
- have reliable transportation to and from clinical assignments (Paso Robles to San Luis Obispo).
Students must also bring the following items to class:
- Textbooks and syllabus.
- Large 3-ring binder, pencil/pen, small pocket note pad, small pocket dictionary.
- Wristwatch with sweep second hand.