LVN Application Information
Applications for the Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) Program are accepted every January for admission the following fall semester (August).
IMPORTANT! Prerequisites for the January 2019 LVN application have CHANGED. Please contact Counseling with any questions related to your Student Education Plan.
NEW FOR THE JANUARY 2019 LVN APPLICATION:
NEW for 2019! PREREQUISITE CHANGES: BIO 212L (Human Biology Lab) and MATH 127 (Intermediate Algebra) have been added. Refer to the LVN Program Prerequiste page for details.
NEW for 2019! COURSE COMPLETION VS. ASSESSMENT: Beginning with the January 2019 application, applicants to the LVN certificate program must either complete the required English and Math prerequisite courses (or equivalent or higher level courses) with a grade of "C" or better; OR place into English 201A and a transfer level math course in order to be eligible to apply to the program.
NEW for 2019! CNA WORK EXPERIENCE INCENTIVE: CNA work experience is NOT mandatory to be eligible to apply to the LVN program. However, applicants who have worked a minimum of 500 hours in the past 2 years as a CNA and who meet the application requirements will have their name entered an extra time in the random draw.
LVN Certificate Program Eligibility Requirements:
The following must be completed to be eligible to apply to the LVN program:
- LVN Program Prerequisites:
- Must be completed with a grade of "C" or better by the due date stated in the current application.
- NEW: Assessment into English 201A and/or a transfer level Math course is accepted in place of
- Official transcripts of prerequisite coursework:
- Must be submitted to Cuesta's Admissions & Records office by the application due date.
- Current California Nurse Assistant (CNA) certification:
- Must be completed by the due date stated in the current application and submitted with your
- Proof of completion of 12th grade education or equivalent (or higher degree)
NOTE: Additional requirements exist to earn a Licensed Vocational Nursing Associate in Science degree. Contact a Cuesta College counselor or refer to the Application Instruction Packet for more information.
LVN Application Checklist:
All items must be completed by the application due dates
- READ the entire current year LVN Application Packet for detailed instructions and due dates.
- APPLY for student admission to Cuesta College.
- CONTACT the Counseling Department for questions about prerequisites, course equivalencies, and/or to find out if you need to submit a Pre-RN/LVN Course Equivalency form (pdf).
- SUBMIT official, sealed transcripts (from all high schools, and all prerequisite coursework completed at colleges other
than Cuesta) to Cuesta College Admissions and Records by the due date stated in the
- NOTE: Foreign Transcripts must be officially submitted no later than two weeks before the application deadline to allow sufficient time for processing.
- PREPARE the following documents to submit with your online application
- A copy of your current California Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification card (or verification of state certification)
For questions about the LVN program and application instructions, contact Brita Blue in the North County Nursing office at: (805) 591-6200, ext. 4426.