¡Zoom! First Year Experience
Welcome to the
First Year Experience!
The ¡Zoom! First Year Experience (FYE) at Cuesta is a rigorous, fast-track program designed to assist incoming high school graduates complete their pre-college-level English and math courses faster, helping them move into university-level classes sooner.
- Graduating high school seniors who have applied and been admitted to Cuesta; AND
- Placed below transfer-level English and/or Math (under course-level 200)
- First Semester: Students take 12 units of mandatory, custom courses (one each - Math, English and College Success Studies)
- Second Semester: Students take 12 units, selected from the options listed on their Student Education Plan
- Fall and Spring Semesters: Required activities related to the ¡Zoom! FYE program, designed to ensure success
¡Zoom! FYE students have access to the following support:
- Free textbooks in Math and English (and College Success Studies 225 in the first semester)
- Dedicated support from an Academic Counselor assigned to ¡Zoom! FYE students
- Support sessions with an Academic Success Coach (provides guidance, develops study skills, access to resources)
- Designated tutoring services tied to the ¡Zoom! FYE classes
- ¡Zoom! Study Lab, where students can meet with a tutor or coach, join a study group, or work on homework with classmates
- Faculty mentors who are part of the ¡Zoom! FYE program
- Free workshops designed to build skills that help students succeed in their coursework
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units, maximum 15 units
- Take and pass all courses in the first year (grade "C" or better)
- Meet regularly with Academic Counselor, Success Coach, and Instructors
- Commit to the extra study time required for this accelerated program
- Spend a minimum of three hours per week in the ¡Zoom! Study Lab
- Attend Orientation, Success Workshops, Coaching and Counselor Appointments
- Sign a contract agreeing to complete all parts of the program
- Contact Amy Pike, North County Campus Coordinator, email@example.com, (805) 591-6200, x4264 OR
- Claire Hawkins, San Luis Obispo Campus Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, (805) 546-3100, x2811
Before you apply to ¡Zoom!, make sure you have completed the following:
- Applied to and been accepted to Cuesta College
- Received a Student ID number (occurs via email when you have been accepted to Cuesta, starts with a 900...)
- Completed your Cuesta Online Orientation in order to qualify for priority registration
How can I apply to the ¡Zoom! Program?
Applications for the 2019-2020 school year are not available.
2018-2019 Zoom students are currently enrolled in their first semester at Cuesta.