Summer Transportation Institute
About the Institute
Are you interested in learning about science, engineering, and transportation in an interactive, hands-on environment? Do you want to explore careers and education opportunities related to transportation? Then Cuesta College Summer Transportation Institute may be for you!
This free two-week summer day camp hosted at Cuesta College offers 6th-8th grade students who identify as female an introduction to the transportation industry. This immersive experience includes field trips, hands-on lab activities and one-on-one learning experiences with experts working in the industry.
Summer Transportation Institute Goals
The Cuesta College Summer Transportation Institute will be a 2-week, non-residential program for 30 middle school girls in San Luis Obispo County. The program will:
- Improve STEM skills,
- Provide awareness about transportation careers, and
- Encourage girls to consider transportation related fields of study.
Siginificant time will be committed to classroom instruction.
At this camp, you will:
- Learn how different parts of the transportation system work together
- Learn how to fly using a airplaine simulator
- Go behind the scenes on exciting field trips like an airport & Maritime Museum
- Tour Cuesta College campus and get a feel for college life
Camp dates & times: June 17 - June 28, 2019 (9 AM to 4 PM daily, Monday through Friday)
Application dates: APPLY HERE!
- Applications due May 31 (Extended til June 7)
- Applicants informed of admissions: June 10
Student & Parent orientation: Friday June 14, 2019, 4 PM at San Luis Obispo Cuesta College Campus
- Identify as Female (priority given to disadvantaged students)
- Completed pre-algebra or will be qualified to enroll in pre-algebra in the coming school year
- 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Interest in STEM education or career
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor
- Statement explaining reasons for wanting to participate and how the summer program can assist her in meeting education/career goals
- Attend program orientation with a parent or guardian upon selection
- Commit to full participation in the summer program without planned absences due to conflicting activities.