The Mindful TEEN Program: Superpowers for the 21st Century
Teens will learn and practice how to cultivate the inner resources, or “superpowers” for reducing stress and experiencing more balance, resilience, and overall mental health and well-being to support them in school, at home, and in life. (See objectives below.) This course is based upon the evidence based program Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Teens (by Gina Biegel) and includes movement and yoga. We meet 1x a month, for a total of 4 two-hour classes, with home-practice assignments to complete in between classes. In an increasingly disconnected world, our in-class group experience helps teens know they are not alone in their struggles, while offering gentle support and opportunities to address personal challenges and questions. Give your teen the edge for responding more skillfully to life in the 21st Century!
Students should bring: Yoga mat, journal, notebook, pen
The following objectives will be demonstrated via group-discussions and/or via journaling:
- Student will understand and describe the science of stress; and identify/notice/describe stress in self.
- Student will describe how to use the 5Ws to develop a mindfulness practice.
- Student will describe an experience of deepening present-moment awareness in daily living.
- Student will describe how to cultivate self-care and awareness of positive experiences.
- Student will describe an experience of responding to a stressful situation rather than reacting.
For more information, visit https://mindfulkindfulyouniversity.com/mbsr-for-teens/
DATES: 4 Wed: February 6, March 6, April 3, and May 1, 2019
TIME: 5:30 - 7:30pm
AGES: 13-19 years
FEE: $80 + $10 materials fee paid to instructor
LOCATION: Aroyo Grande High School Room TBD
INSTRUCTOR: Dee DiGioia
QUESTIONS: Contact instructor at email@example.com or (805) 270-5523