June 15: Email from the Superintendent / President
COVID-19 Mask Update and more.
Governor Newsom has provided assurance that fully vaccinated employees will not be required to wear masks indoors, even among unvaccinated coworkers. The Cal/OSHA Standards Board will take formal action on this matter later this week to put the new standard in effect by June 28th. In today’s Tribune, the Governor noted that the gap between today and June 28th will be “addressed properly” noting that he is “very mindful of the gap”. More information will be shared as it is available.
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District and Cuesta College trust employees to respect the following mask guidance:
- Fully vaccinated employees are not required to wear a mask at work
- Those not fully vaccinated must wear a mask indoors
- Those not fully vaccinated must wear a mask when driving a district vehicle
- Those not fully vaccinated, working outdoors, and unable to maintain physical distancing are recommended to wear a mask
You are welcome to wear a mask regardless of your vaccination status. Masks have been proven effective in protecting the wearer and those around them. Masks, both surgical and N95, are available through the work order system in myCuesta. Select work orders, safety tools and sanitizing materials, and complete the short form. Other PPE and sanitizing supplies are also available using the same form.
As California reopens, the health and well-being of our campus community remains a priority. Cuesta College will continue the following prevention strategies to reduce spread:
- Promote vaccination
- Availability and use of masks
- Physical distancing including:
- virtual events, activities, gatherings
- outdoor gatherings, study, and teaching
- spacing or blocking off chairs or tables
- limiting occupancy
- Frequent handwashing and availability of sanitizer
- Testing for COVID-19*
- Contact tracing in coordination with SLO County Public Health Department
- HVAC ionization to capture virus and other micropollutants
- Air purification in classrooms and public spaces
- Availability of temperature kiosks for self-check
*Please note that fully vaccinated individuals should only test for COVID-19 when experiencing symptoms of disease. Do not come to campus if you are ill.
Students are required to wear masks indoors.
Thank you for your diligence in maintaining Cuesta College COVID-19 protocols. Your efforts have been effective – there has been no spread of disease on campus. As operations begin the return to pre-pandemic norms, I encourage you to maintain healthy practices to support your well-being. There are many circumstances that are not covered in the scenarios above, take the safe steps of mask wearing, social distancing, and frequent handwashing in those situations. You are welcome to email or call with specific questions. 805.546.3118
Jill Stearns, Ph.D.
Highway 1, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403
805.546.3118 | www.cuesta.edu