March 3, 2020: Email from Student Services
The County of San Luis Obispo Public Health Department is closely monitoring the rapidly
expanding outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus, more recently
There is widespread or sustained community transmission currently occurring in five countries. On March 2, 2020, Cuesta College, SLO County schools, and private schools were debriefed by SLO County Public Health Department and epidemiologists on the attached advisory. Key elements of the advisory are noted below.
Returning travelers will need to be excluded from school (campus) for 14 days after they left the following affected countries:
- South Korea
If you have returned from one of the affected countries in the last 14 days, please
go to Student Health Services:
SLO building 3100, room 3150 phone (805) 546-3171
NCC building 1000, room 1013 phone (805) 591-6200 x4207
In the meantime, please encourage everyone to take these everyday preventive actions:
- Get a flu shot to protect against flu, which can produce symptoms similar to novel coronavirus.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or sleeve.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid nonessential travel to affected countries, for the time being.
As this is a new and evolving situation, the SLO County Public Health Department advises the public including our school partners to look to the CDC for the most up-to-date information on the 2019 novel coronavirus and SLO Public Health for local information at www.slocounty.ca.gov/COVID19. This advisory pertains to all schools including higher education institutions.