Internet Explorer 8, 7, 6, or 5 using DSL or Cable Connection
print this page
Follow these steps to configure your browser to use the Library Proxy Server. This setup will remain in effect until you cancel it.
- Only the Windows versions of Internet Explorer will work with the proxy server. For Macintosh users, we recommend Firefox.
- Some users report that Internet Explorer 6.0 needs to be configured as if for a dial-up connection when used with a DSL or cable-modem service.
- Pull down the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Click on the Connections tab.
- Under "Local Area Network (LAN)", click on LAN Settings
(or DSL settings on some versions).
- Check the box next to: Use automatic configuration script.
Ignore the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.
- Type or paste in the Address (below):
Be sure to include "http://", and do not insert any empty spaces
before or after the URL.
- Click OK to save your settings.
- Click OK to close the Internet Options window.
To protect your privacy
When using the proxy server on a shared computer, quit the web browser when your session is finished.
To turn off this setting
Follow steps 1-3 above.
In step 4, click to uncheck the Use automatic configuration script box.
Click OK to save your settings.
Click OK again to close the Internet Options window.
© 2018 Cuesta College