Safari in Mac OSX "Snow Leopard"
print this page
Follow these steps to configure your browser to use the Library Proxy Server. This setup will remain in effect until you cancel it.
- These instructions are based on Safari 5.0 and Mac OS 10.6.4 ("Snow Leopard").
- This combination supports logging in with a CalNet ID or a library PIN; some earlier versions do not.
- Pull down the Safari menu and select Preferences.
- Click on the Advanced icon.
- In the "Proxies:" option, click on Change Settings.
- System Preferences should start up automatically, with the Network window open and Proxies selected.
(You may need to log in with your Administrator password to make these changes)
- Under "Select a protocol to configure:", choose Automatic Proxy Configuration.
Even if this box is already checked, you may need to click on these words to make the Proxy Configuration File URL text box appear on right side of window.
- Type or paste the following in the Proxy Configuration File URL text box (below):
Be sure to include "http://", and do not insert any empty spaces
before or after the URL.
- Make sure the Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV) box is checked.
- Click OK to close the Proxies window.
- Click Apply, then close the Network window.
(You may choose to click the lock icon at bottom left of window to prevent further changes)
- Close the Advanced window.
To protect your privacy
When using the proxy server on a shared computer, quit the web browser when your session is finished.
To turn off this setting
Follow steps 1-5 above.
In step 6, remove the URL from the Proxy Configuration File URL box.
Follow steps 8-10 above (ignore Step 7).
© 2018 Cuesta College