Black History Month
What is Black History Month?
To commemorate and celebrate the contributions to our nation made by people of African descent, American historian Carter G. Woodson established Black History Week (then called “Negro History Week”) nearly a century ago. The event was first celebrated during the second week of February 1926, selected because it coincides with the birthdays of both Abraham Lincoln (February 12) and abolitionist/writer Frederick Douglass (February 14). That week would continue to be set aside for the event until 1976 when, as part of the nation’s bicentennial, it was expanded to a month. Since then, U.S. presidents have proclaimed February as National African American History Month.
Black History Month Events
- Cultural Center Instagram Giveaway more info
The contest will start on January 18th at 8:00 a.m.
- Hear My Story more info
Join us February 1st - 28th for a Black History Month endeavor filled with meaningful curriculum and virtual activities.
- Cuesta Library Virtual Book Club: Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine more info
February 4 from 1-2:30 pm
- Prime Watch Party on Virtual Student Lounge - TIME Documentary more info
February 4 from 5-6:30 p.m.
- Storytelling Workshop: Experiencing Intersectionality more info
February 5 from 4-5:30 p.m.
- Netflix Watch Party on Virtual Student Lounge - 13th Documentary more info
February 5 from 5-6:45 p.m.
- BSU Paint Night more info
February 9 from 6-7:00 p.m.
- 13th Documentary Discussion more info
February 11 from 5-6:00 p.m.
- TIME Documentary Q&A more info
February 18 from 5-6 p.m.
- Black Entrepreneurship Summit more info
February 19 from 6-7:30 p.m.
- BAEC Cal Poly Mixer more info
February 22 from 4-5:00 p.m.
- Spoken Word with Khalil Houston more info
Feburary 24 from 12-1:00 p.m.
Febuary 25 from 6-7:00 p.m.
- Black Talent Gathering (Talent Show) more info
February 26 from 6 - 7:30 p.m.
Visit Eric Atkinson's Black History Month exhibit
By popular demand, another section of African American History is available this semester. Use the following information to sign-up for 12 week course: HIST 233/CRN 34646, DE (Asynch), 3/1-5/21, Z. McKiernan
Student Life and Leadership
San Luis Obispo, Building 5300, in the Student Center
Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm, Friday 9am - 3pm (hours subject to change)
firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (805)546-3289/Fax: (805)546-3105
Cuesta Cultural Center
San Luis Obispo, Building 5100, Rooms 5104A/B
email@example.com, Phone: (805) 546-3100 x2194