Appeals and Petitions
PLEASE ALLOW 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR PROCESSING. To check petition status in myCuesta, go to Student Self Service portlet -> Prepare for Registration -> Select a Term -> then go to Registration Status tab.
Form links below open in Dynamic Forms that populates your name and student ID.
You must be a current student and have authenticated your myCuesta login credentials before opening Dynamic Form.
You may be required to route your form via email for approval: Faculty & Staff Directory
Form: Schedule a meeting with a Counselor to start the Academic Renewal Process
Students may petition to have their academic record reviewed for academic renewal of substandard academic performance. Grade alleviation of coursework for any term/session to be disregarded if conditions are met. View Policy
How to Add (PDF) or view video tutorial
Add classes online in myCuesta within deadlines. As of first class meeting, instructor issued add code required. If submitting Add Card, it must be postmarked, faxed, emailed or brought in-person within deadline with government-issued photo ID. View Policy
- Add Card: Contact the instructor first before submitting an add card. Without contacting the instructor before requesting to be added to a course, can result in denied request.
- Readmit Card: Student inadvertently dropped or was dropped by instructor and needs to be re-enrolled.
- Transfer Card: Transfer from one CRN to another of exact same course and same start/end date.
- Late Add Petition: Missed add deadline due to extenuating circumstances?
Submit Late Add Petition, which will be sent to instructor for approval. Participation and attendance before add deadline is required. DO NOT SUBMIT IF CLASS HAS NOT STARTED! If class is closed/full, you need to place yourself on the waitlist if available.
Form: Course Audit Request
Available on a space-available basis. Dual Enrollment/Enrichment may not audit. View Policy
Correct/update date of birth, educational goal, name, or Social Security on Cuesta records. Submit form with government-issued photo ID. View information that can be changed online in myCuesta Student Self Service.
- Change of Information Form: To correct birthdate, update educational goal, or release of Directory Information.
- Change Educational Level Form: Submit if highest level of education completed reported incorrectly on admission application.
- Change Name Form: To update/change legal name on Cuesta records. Submit form with copy of government-issued ID. For Federal financial aid, legal name must be identical to name on Social Security card.
- Change/Update Social Security Number Form: To update or correct Social Security number on records, submit form with copy of Social Security card.
Form: Petition for Credit by Examination
Also known as challenging a course by taking a test to earn a grade of an approved credit by exam course. View List of Courses and Policy
Form: Credit Overload Authorization
By approval of a Cuesta counselor, enroll above 19.0 credits in spring/fall or above 9.0 in summer. Click here: contact a counselor
Attention: Enrichment students may not enroll beyond 11 credits for Spring and Fall or 9 credits for Summer session.
+Toggle d9e113 AccordionDropping Course (Petition to Drop without W & Partial Refund, Excused Withdrawal Petition)
How to Drop (PDF) or view video tutorial
Dropping a course? Take our Course Withdrawal Questionnaire to determine what drop you are eligible for.
Drop classes online in myCuesta within deadlines. If submitting Drop Card, it must be postmarked, faxed, emailed, or brought in person within deadline with government-issued photo ID. View Policy
Find out what type of drop your are eligible for before dropping your course here: Course Withdrawal Questionnaire
- Drop Card
- Petition to Drop without W & Partial Refund: Drop without W deadline is end of second week for full term course, and includes a partial refund. Deadline to drop without W for short term or summer course is within 20% and includes partial refund if within 10% of course.
- Military Withdrawal: Withdrawal from All Classes Card
FOR STUDENTS LOOKING TO DROP COURSES DURING CURRENT SEMESTER (NO GRADE RECEIVED)
- Petition to Drop for Excused Withdrawal (EW): Request for an EW grade, which is not counted in academic standing or course repetition. Documentation verifying extenuating circumstances beyond student's control must be submitted.
FOR STUDENTS LOOKING TO REPLACE A GRADE WITH AN EW (GRADE RECEIVED)
- Past Semester Petition to Drop for Excused Withdrawal (EW): Request for an EW grade, which is not counted in academic standing or course repetition. Documentation verifying extenuating circumstances beyond student's control must
be submitted. Deadline within 180 days after grade assigned.
Once past the 180 days, you may qualify for Academic Renewal.
- Current students may obtain a copy of their enrollment records for no cost via the myCuesta portal. Click here: How to Print Enrollment Verification
- National Student Clearinghouse provides students, alumni, employers, and other organizations instant online enrollment verification and/or degree verification results.
Form: Evaluations Policy Appeal
Appeal of degree requirements such as health, diversity, catalog rights, GE coursework, upper division coursework, or graduation priority registration deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
Form: Student Representation Fee Waiver
Opt out of paying Student Representation Fee for the term. Must be submitted each term student wishes to opt out.
Form: Student Services Consent for Release of Information Form
A FERPA code works in place of a photo ID to allow Cuesta College to verify student identity over the phone. We do this in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects your information as a student.
+Toggle d9e113 AccordionGraduation (Certificate and/or Associate Degree Application, General Ed Certification, Replacement, Substitution Waiver)
Official transcripts for transfer credit and AP scores must be submitted. Meet with a counselor for final General Education certification, certificate, and/or degree evaluation.
- Petition for Substitution/Waiver of Associate Degree or Certificate Requirements: By Cuesta counselor recommendation and approval of Division Chair and Instructional Dean.
- Associate Degree Application
- Certificate Application
- CSU GE Certification
- IGETC Certification
- Replacement of Certificate or Diploma: Replace diploma or certificate. View Policy & Fee
Form: Documentation of Independent Student Status
Documentation of Independent Student Status: Homeless Youth under 25 years of age, who has been verified during the 24 months immediately preceding the receipt of his or her admission application may be eligible for early priority registration. View Policy
Form: Independent Study Agreement Form
In-depth study in a selected topic under direction of an instructor. View Policy
Form: Petition for Pass/No Pass Grading
"GP" courses grading option in Class Finder may be taken for pass/no pass grading. View Policy and Transfer FAQs
Form: Enrichment Program Grades 9-12 Permit to Enroll
Dual Enrollment (Enrichment) students in Grades 9-12 authorization to enroll by Principal and parent/guardian. View Dual Enrollment Program Information
The following courses require verification of prerequisite/co-requisite completion prior to registering: List of Computer Enforced Courses
- Form A: Prerequisite Clearance and/or Math & English Placement
- Form B: Prerequisite/Co-requisite Challenge - Based on the grounds provided in Title 5 CCR §55003. View Policy
- Form C: Physics Evaluation Form - for clearance of Physics courses completed at an institution other than Cuesta by Physics Department Chair.
Form: Petition to Reinstate Enrollment Priority and/or CCPG Eligibility
Students may petition for reinstatement one-time only based on specific criteria. A current Comprehensive Student Education Plan is required.
Form: Evaluation Policy Appeal (Graduation Priority)
Degree applicants who are continuing students (currently enrolled) with 12 credits completed in residency, who will be completing their remaining AA, AS, Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) degree or transfer requirements within one semester at Cuesta must submit degree application by deadline posted in Student Planning Calendar. Submit Evaluation Policy Appeal if application not submitted by deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
Students will be held financially responsible for fees related to classes not dropped within the refund deadlines. Refer to the Student Financial Responsibility statement for more information. View policy: How to receive a refund
Click here for Academic Reinstatement Process
For Students on Probation or Dismissal: View Policy
Students may petition to repeat a course under circumstances allowed in Title V. View Course Repetition Policy
- Petition to Repeat Course Prior Substandard Grades - Previously received 3 or more substandard grades/withdrawals. Will be 4th attempt to pass course.
- Petition to Repeat Course Prior C or Higher Grade
- Repeat Same Course in Same Term - Enroll in two or more sections of the same repeatable credit course during the same term as long as they are not enrolled in more than one section at any given time for the length of the course.
- Third Enrollment Agreement - Previously completed the class two times but did not pass. This will be third attempt to repeat and pass the class.
- Request to Update GPA/Course History for Repeated Course - Request GPA and course alleviation for Cuesta class repeated for a passing grade at another school.
- In-Progress Repeat Petition - The intent of this repeat petition is to allow a faculty recommendation for a student to register for the same level course in the subsequent semester (in order to repeat the course) before a final grade has been assigned.
+Toggle d9e113 AccordionResidency Reclassification (Nonresident fee waiver, exemptions, including military and dependents)
Submit request for reclassification of residency status. View Residency Policy
- California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form (AB540): Exemption from paying nonresident tuition if student meets four requirements. Official transcripts must be submitted to Cuesta. View Policy
- Statement of Legal Residence Form: California residency reclassification request. Submit with supporting documentation.
- (Enrichment Students Only) Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request - for Dual Enrollment students enrolled at Cuesta while concurrently attending Grades 6-12.
Military Members and Dependents of Military
- Form for: Discharged Member or Dependent maintained CA as home of record
- Active Member or Dependent Living/Stationed in California
- Discharged Member Stations in California within last year
- AB 13 (VACA) Exempt for Members or Dependent Eligible for Assistance under Chapter 30, Chapter 31, or Chapter 33
Form: Schedule Conflict Petition
Request approval to enroll in two overlapping courses. View Policy
Click here: Place Transcript Order
Order official transcripts online by either electronic (PDF) or hard-copy/paper. Students may access unofficial transcripts in the myCuesta portal. Go to Student Service Service portlet. On the right, click on Student Records then "View Unofficial Transcripts."