The Cuesta College Academic Senate is an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations to Cuesta College Administration (Superintendent/President) and the Board of Trustees regarding academic and professional matters. The Academic Senate derives its authority from the California Code of Regulations, Title V. Section 53200 and Board Policy Number 2510.
Board Policy 2510 requires the Board of Trustees to "rely primarily" upon policy and procedural recommendations made by the Cuesta Academic Senate Council with respect to:
1. Curriculum, including prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines.
2. Degree and certificate requirements.
3. Grading policies.
4. Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
5. District and College governance structures as related to faculty roles.
6. Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study
and annual reports.
7. Policies for faculty professional development activities.
Board Policy 2510 obligates the Cuesta College Administration (Superintendent/President) and representatives of the Academic Senate to reach mutual agreement on recommendations concerning:
8. Educational program development.
9. Processes for program review.
10. Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
+1. Other academic and professional matters as agreed upon.