The Cuesta Newsletter | August 2018
Stay up-to-date each month with the Cuesta College Newsletter!
Fall Opening Day
The Fall 2018 Opening Day ceremony took place on August 10th. Featured speaker Dr. Darla Cooper, Executive Director of the RP Group, shared findings from the 14 student focus groups held during Spring of 2018. Dr. Cooper's presentation connected student responses with the Guided Pathways framework as a formal launch of Cuesta College's Guided Pathways Plan. The college's Marketing Department filmed Opening Day (see the video above) and you can hear all about the student focus group findings in the video above (beginning at 34:57). The full Cuesta College Completion by Design & Equity Focus Groups: Student Perspectives Report will be uploaded to the college's Guided Pathways webpage in the coming weeks.
Opening Day also included updates from each of the college clusters, as well as the recognitions of six employees for their excellent work at Cuesta College. Check out photos of the awardees in the "Shout Outs" section below.
Fall 2018 Semester Has Begun
The Fall semester has officially begun! The college's enrollment numbersare are slowly on the rise. To date, the college is 450 FTES below our target; however, dual enrollment and other non-traditional programs have yet to be added to the total. Please encourage students to pick up a unit or two as many courses have yet to begin. For a look at what's new this semester, check out this press release.
New GIS Courses & Certificate
Cuesta College is meeting the high-demand needs of the local Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology industry with the launch of new GIS courses and certification. GIS is a computer system for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying data related to positions on Earth’s surface. By relating seemingly unrelated data, GIS can help individuals and organizations better understand spatial patterns and relationships.
Although the GIS Analyst certificate officially will launch next Fall, students now have the opportunity to take Introduction to GIS this semester. For more information, check out this press release.
Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery Kicks Off the Fall Semester With New Exhibit
Cuesta College’s Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery is bringing a roving exhibition of artists to the college for its first exhibit of the Fall 2018 semester. ‘Tributaries’ will feature the works of eight diverse artists from Marin, CA. In addition to an opening reception on August 23, the exhibit will include film screenings and studio visits with Cuesta College students.
For a look at the exhibit's full schedule, check out this press release.
Annual Jazz Faculty Concert Coming Up
The 2018 Fall Jazz Faculty Concert will be held on August 24th in the Cultural and Performing Arts Center (CPAC) from 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. This annual event is always a favorite of the community. The talented Cuesta music faculty will perform an array of jazz and all proceeds benefit the Music Student Scholarship Fund. Tickets can be purchased here.
Annual CPAC Benefit: Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band
Mark your calendar for the CPAC annual benefit concert. Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band will hit the stage on September 16th from 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. The CPAC is a teaching facility for student musicians, singers, and actors, and is a unique venue for community activities as well. Tickets cost $40 and include salsa dance lessons to the first 50 attendees, refreshments, wine tasting, silent auction, raffles, and more. Tickets can be purchased here.
Each month, the Cuesta Newsletter serves as a communication conduit for College Council, Planning & Budget Committee, Academic Senate Council, and the Board of Trustees.
Retired Management Emeritus Recommendations
At the August 1st meeting of the Board of Trustees, the following two individuals were approved for Emeritus Management Status:
- Trudy Bell, Director of the Bookstore & Auxiliary Services, 37 years
- Dr. Gil Stork, Superintendent/President, 51 years
Emeritus recipients receive a variety of benefits, including a library card, reduced price for admission to college events, a permanent parking permit, and more.
Thank you to these two former managers for their many years of service and dedication to academic and service excellence at Cuesta College!
Academic Senate Council
The Academic Senate has no report for the month of August, and has recessed for the summer.
College Council has no report for the month of August, and has recessed for the summer.
Planning & Budget Committee
Planning & Budget Committee has no report for the month of August, and has recessed for the summer.
2018 Opening Day Award Recipients
Every year at the Fall Opening Day ceremony, six awards are presented to Cuesta College faculty, staff and management in honor of their excellent work at the college. Congratulations to the following 2018 recipients! For a video of the award recognitions, click here (recognitions begin at 9:30).
2018 Academic Employee of the Year: Gary Rubin, Business Education, North County Cluster Coordinator
2018 Classified Employee of the Year: Denise McDonough, Division Assistant, Mathematics
2018 Management Senate Employee of the Year: Jason Hopkins, Sergeant, Cuesta Police Department
2018 Dr. Marie E. Rosenwasser - President's Leadership Award:Brian McAlister, Assistant Director, Bond Projects
2018 Peter and M'May Diffley Award for Faculty Excellence: Richard Jackson – Performing Arts/Drama
2018 Teaching Excellence Award: Dr. Anthony Koeninger - History
Cuesta Foundation Awards More Scholarships to More Students Than Ever Before
For the 2018-19 academic year, the Cuesta College Foundation awarded more scholarships and more money to more students than ever before. A total of 248 students received 486 scholarships, equating to nearly $385K being awarded. On August 3rd, the college hosted nearly 270 scholarship donors and student recipients at the 29th Annual Scholarship Reception. For a look at the day, check out these photos. And for more information on the Scholarship Reception, check out this press release.
PG&E Donates $100K to Support Year Two of Cuesta Promise
Also at the Scholarship Reception, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) presented a check to the Cuesta College Foundation in the amount of $100,000 to support the second year of the Cuesta College Promise Scholarship. It was announced in June that PG&E was a major gift donor involved in the college’s expansion of the Promise Scholarship to include a second year of fee-free education to all San Luis Obispo County high school graduates. PG&E has a long history of supporting Cuesta College. Over the past 30 years, the company has donated $700,000 to the college and also supported various programs. For full details, check out this press release.
Over the past few weeks, the following information was included in media segments:
- Kids learn about cyber security at Cuesta College summer camp | KSBY | New Times
- Cuesta art gallery kicks off the fall semester with 'Tributaries' | Paso Robles Daily News
- PG&E donation to Cuesta College ensures SLO County students can attend for free | Tribune
- The Central Coast Writers Conference is coming up at Cuesta | AUTHORLINK Writers & Readers Magazine
- Want to attend Cuesta College? There's still time to register for classes | Tribune | KSBY
- New certificates, courses available as Fall 2018 registration continues at Cuesta College | Atascadero News
- Cuesta awarded $225K to fund GIS technology courses, certification program | Paso Robles Daily News
- Money for Education: Cuesta College awards student scholarships | KSBY
- Cuesta College holding prospective student workshops ahead of fall semester | KSBY
- Cuesta College Rodeo Club Men’s Team ranks 4th in the nation, 1st in California | Tribune
- Dwelling art exhibit at Cuesta tackles the elements of domestic spaces | New Times
- Welding Trailer at the Mid-State Fair | KCOY
- Cuesta College holding prospective student workshops ahead of Fall semester | Tribune | KSBY
Here’s a look at some of the events going on around campus. For the full calendar, visit the Cuesta College Events Calendar:
- August 17: Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery “Tributaries” Short Film Project
- August 20: Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery “Tributaries” Artist Critique/Exchange Night
- August 21: Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery “Tributaries” Clairborne Shank’s film ‘Four Rounds’
- August 23: Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery “Tributaries” Exhibit Opening Night
- August 23-September 19: Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery “Tributaries” Exhibition
- August 24: Annual Jazz Faculty Concert
- September 5: Board of Trustees meeting