Central Coast Writers Conference Info
Cuesta College is set to host the 32nd Annual Central Coast Writers Conference September 29th – October 1st. The three-day conference features more than 60 presenters, panelist presentations, individual writing critiques, keynotes, craft lectures, and a book fair. With a focus on Hollywood and TV screenwriting, some of the industry’s best creators will be accessible to all attendees. A total of 85 classes and workshops will be offered over the course of the conference.
The conference, presented by Cuesta College and sponsored by SoCreate, kicks off on Thursday, September 29th at the San Luis Obispo Downtown Association Farmer’s Market with a Book and Author Fair. Free to the public, the fair runs 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. and includes more than 40 authors, illustrators and publishers in the Mission Plaza.
Friday, September 30th, begins with Keynote Speaker Sam Horn, a world-renowned author whose works include POP! and bestseller Got Your Attention?. Horn has been featured in BusinessWeek, INC, Forbes and The New York Times, and spoken at the White House and for NASA.
“We are so excited to have an author of the caliber as Sam Horn speak at the Central Coast Writers Conference,” said Central Coast Writers Conference Director Teri Bayus. “Through her writing, Horn helps people create one-of-a-kind brands, books, presentations and pitches that scale their influence for good.”
Friday evening will feature a keynote panel of best-selling authors and screen and TV writers, and focuses on how creative architects transform their ideas from conception to successful completion. Panelists include:
- Peter Dunne - writer, Emmy and Peabody award-winning producer whose credits include the TV dramas “CSI,” “JAG,” and “Dallas.”
- Rob Edwards - scriptwriter and scriptwriting instructor, known for his work on “The Princess and the Frog,” “Treasure Planet,” and “Frozen.”
- Nancy Holder - New York Times bestselling author and writer for film and TV shows such as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “Teen Wolf,” “Hellboy,” “The X Files,” Saving Grace,” and “Beauty and the Beast.” Holder is also the author of the official movie novelization for the “Ghostbusters” movie starring Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.
- Jonathan Maberry - New York Times bestselling author, named one of the today’s Top Ten Horror Writers.
- Anthony Peckham’s - writer, credits include “Don’t Say a Word,” “Sherlock Holmes,” and the Academy Award-nominated “Invictus.”
- Gene Perret - the original comedy writer and producer for “The Carol Burnett Show” and “The Bob Hope Show,” author of 40 comedy writing books and a three-time Emmy award winner.
- Doug Richardson - author and scriptwriter for the “Die Hard” and “Bad Boy” franchises.
- Wendelin Van Draanen - author of more than 30 novels for young readers and teens, including the 18-book Edgar-winning “Sammy Keyes” series.
“Whether you are a new writer or an established author, our conference will elevate your writing to the next level and help you navigate through the business side of the industry,” said Bayus.
According to Bayus, all K-12 teachers receive free registration thanks to a sponsorship from Chevron. Additionally, a Teens Writers Workshop, sponsored by PG&E, will engage students in an interactive, team building environment. Those interested in attending may also enter to win a free conference admission at any San Luis Obispo County Library.
For a full list of programs and to register visit http://www.cuesta.edu/communityprograms/writers-conference/index.html/ or www.centralcoastwritersconference.com. Registration is $225 and includes a catered dinner on Friday evening. Keynote speaker events may be purchased seperately, as can private critique sessions. For questions, please call Cuesta College Community Programs at (805) 546-3132.