Welcome to Cuesta College's NextUp Program!
NextUp provides participating current and former foster youth with support and resources while attending Cuesta College. NextUp believes in your academic success and is here to support you on your educational journey!
- Be a current or former foster youth in California who dependency was established or continued by a court on or after the youth's 13th birthday
- Be no older than 26 years of age at the start of the academic year
- Enrolled in at least 9 units or have the intent to enroll in 9 units or more. Students enrolled in fewer than 9 units are still encouraged to apply.
- 1:1 support
- Textbook vouchers
- Educational grants
- Transportation assistance
- Housing support
- Food assistance
- Events and workshops
How Do I Apply?
- Cuesta students can apply for NextUp on their MyCuesta Portal through the EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs & Foster Youth application
- Burton Critical Needs Fund: Provided by the John Burton Foundation to assist former foster youth with "critical needs and resources" so that they can be successful on their pathway to self sufficiency. If you spent anytime in foster care on or after your 13th birthday up until your 26th birthday, and can provide us with documentation of such placement you are eligible to recieve a grant up to $300 per semester. You must be a current Cuesta student and complete an EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs & Foster Youth application before applying. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Family Care Network: Provides wraparound services to current and former foster youth including mental health services, housing support, and career/education support
- SLO Foster Care: Provides local resources to current and former foster youth