Paralegal Degrees & Certificates
DEGREES, CERTIFICATES & AWARDS
The Cuesta College Paralegal Degree Program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to become a successful paralegal. A paralegal is a trained specialist who performs a wide variety of legal tasks, including legal research, assisting with clients, assisting with case investigation, assisting with witness preparation, assisting at trial, law office management, and legal document preparation in a variety of legal and business settings.
The Cuesta College Paralegal Degree Program fully complies with the California Business and Professions Code requirements for employment as paralegals and legal document assistants. The Paralegal Program is also designed to help students prepare for NALA (National Association of Legal Assistants) certification and is a first step towards CACPS (Commission for Advanced California Paralegal Specialization) certification as well.
ASSOCIATE DEGREE and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
An Associate Degree, depending on the focus of study, is designed to prepare students for transfer into upper division course work in a bachelor’s degree program, or, to prepare students to enter the workforce in a particular vocational field. To qualify for an Associate’s Degree, a student must:
(1) complete each major-specific course required for the degree with at least a "C" grade or better,
(2) complete all Cuesta College general education, graduation and residency requirements,
(3) achieve an overall grade point average of 2.0 for all courses attempted (major, general education, elective), and
(4) submit an Associate’s Degree Application to Admissions and Records.
A Certificate Program is designed for students who desire specific training to meet an immediate occupational or personal goal, or for promotion or lateral transfer within their existing field of employment. To qualify for a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of Specialization, a student must
1) complete all courses required for the Certificate with an overall grade point average of 2.0,
2) earn at least 12 units in residency at Cuesta and
3) submit a Certificate Application to Admissions and Records.
|Other Legal Service Providers||Corporate Legal Departments|
Independent Contractor Paralegals
|Legal Document Assistants||Insurance|
|Local, State and Federal Government||Real Estate|
|A.A. - Associate in Arts||C.A. - Certificate of Achievement|
|A.S. - Associate in Science||C.S. - Certificate of Specialization|
|A.A.-T. - Associate in Arts for Transfer||C.C. - Certificate of Completion (Non Credit)|
|A.S.-T. - Associate in Science for Transfer|