Middle or High School (7th - 12th) Teacher Pathway
Middle or High School Teachers (7th-12th) generally teach one subject (a Single Subject Credential is required). High School Teachers are specialists in their subject matter and will earn a credential in one of 16 subject areas: Agriculture, Art, Biological Sciences, Business, Chemistry, English, GeoScience, Health Science, Home Economics, Industrial Tech, Math, Music, Physical Education, Physics, Social Science (includes: Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) and World Languages.
- Cuesta College Degree to Complete: AA-T/AS-T in your major
- Satisfy the basic skills requirement - there are many ways to meet the basic skills requirement, which include earning qualifying scores on the CBEST, CSU EAP/ELM/EPT, SAT, ACT, or AP exams. If you take the CBEST, complete it right after you have completed transferable Math and English
- Complete BA/BS in your major
- Verify Subject Matter Competence
- Complete a Single Subject Teacher Preparation Program
- Apply for your Preliminary Teaching Credential and become a California teacher!
|The following subjects are available in California for Single Subject Teaching Credentials:|
|Business||Science: Biological Sciences|
|Foundational Science||Science: GeoSciences|
|Foundational Mathematics||Science: Physics|
|Health Science||Social Sciences|
|Home Economics||World Language: English Language Development|
|Industrial and Technical Education||World Languages: Languages other than English|
More detailed information is currently avaliable for the following three pathways:
- More to come!
If you would like more information or have questions about the Middle or High School Teacher Pathway, the AA-T/AS-T degree requirements, or the transfer process to your BA/BS major, contact the Counseling Department 805-546-3138(SLO) or 805-591-6241(NCC).