Promise Scholars Summer Academy
2021 Promise Scholars Virtual Summer Academy
The 2021 Promise Scholars Virtual Summer Academy is designed to prepare incoming first-time freshman students as they transition to the college academic environment. The online courses, virtual program activities, and remote student support services are tailored to help students navigate the college social and academic expectations to support students start strong at Cuesta College and attain their academic goals. Participating in the Virtual Summer Academy as a Promise Scholar is a summer well spent!
Summer Academy Curriculum
June 14 –July 24, 2021
CSS 225 - College Success
Integrates personal growth and values, academic study strategies, and critical and creative thinking proficiency. Emphasizes the attainment of life-long success in academic, professional, and personal development. Transfer: CSU;UC.
CSS 254 - Major and Career Exploration
Assesses the student's values, interests and abilities to help the student select a fulfilling career path, a college major appropriate to that career path, and an educational plan for achieving the student's goals. Transfer: CSU.
Introduction to On-Line:
Introduces students to the different types of technologies utilized in a distance education course. Students will determine if distanced education is right for them
and learn academic and technological skills for success in distance education and technology mediated courses.
To be eligible for the Cuesta College 2021 Promise Scholars Virtual Summer Academy students must:
- Be a first-time new college student
- Complete all enrollment steps
- Apply to Cuesta College
- Summer 2021 & Fall 2021
- Complete the on-line orientation
- Complete a FAFSA or Dream Act application
- Application Years: 2020-2021 & 2021-2022
- Apply to Cuesta College
- Participate in one of the program kickoff meetings:
- June 9th - 5:30 - 6:30PM
- June 10th - 10:00 - 11:00AM
- Cuesta College Scholarship Application on file
- Submit the Promise Scholars Summer Academy Contract
- Direct aid for summer 2021 courses up to $1,000 to cover fees, books, and supplies (must be registered for the Summer Academy by June 18, 2021)
- Direct aid for fall 2021 with successful completion of the Summer Academy up to $1,000 to cover fees, books, and supplies.
- Access to counseling and support services
- Access to portable technology equipment
- Virtual enrichment activities throughout the summer
- Cuesta College Cougar Kit which includes a Student ID and some Cuesta gear
Students will meet weekly in group and individual opportunities with a counselor for tracking course progress, developing a Student Education Plan (SEP), personal support, and connecting to academic and college support services.
About Cuesta College Promise Scholarship
The Cuesta College Promise is a scholarship program available to all San Luis Obispo
County high school graduates. The Promise offers all local graduates—who come
straight to Cuesta following their graduation—two years of attendance fee-free
(two consecutive fall and spring semesters).