Cuesta College is approved by the United States Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement as an institution of higher learning for non-immigrant 
F-1 Visa (Academic Visa) students.   You must be enrolled as a full-time (12 credits minimum) student and English proficient.   {
Note:  Cuesta College does not offer a F-1 Visa English language training program.} 

International Student applications for ALL students (including transfers) are accepted as follows: (Exception for concurrent enrollment)

Spring Semester:  October 1 to December 15
Summer Session: April 1 to May 15
Fall Semester:  April 1 to July 15

Printer-Friendly Checklist

Students must show evidence of ability to pay non-resident fees and must maintain enrollment of 12 credits during spring/fall semesters. Completion of financial certificate is required to verify that the student has sufficient financial resources for physical maintenance, housing, and educational costs.  Be advised that housing is not available at Cuesta College.

Financial aid is not available for international students through Cuesta College. Students holding F-1 Visas may work a maximum of 20 hours per week on the Cuesta College campus AFTER their first full academic year with prior approval from the Director of Admissions & Records.  F-1 students are not allowed to work off-campus, unless they have prior authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Classes are conducted in college-level English, therefore, it is necessary to be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking the language. For this reason, Cuesta College requires all F-1 students applying for admission to submit proof of passing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with an Internet based minimum of 61, computer based minimum of 173, or a paper based minimum of 500.  For information contact: TOEFL iBT, Educational Testing Services, PO Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6155, phone (443) 751-4862 or (800) 468-6335 in US only.  Email:

Exception: TOEFL is waived if your native language is English, or if you have completed the equivalent of college-level English composition at a US college or university.

  • Transcripts of International Student Academic Records

    Students must provide certified transcripts of academic records achieved during all prior high school or college attendance. Transcripts must be translated into English and must bear the school seal and be signed by the registrar or another appropriate official. For credits from accredited international colleges or universities to be used toward an associate degree or transfer general education certification, the records must be evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation service by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) such as (ACEI - Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.) ACEI can be reached at (310) 275-3530 or (800) 234-1597 in US only. Email:

  • Tuberculosis Clearance

    Applicants must provide a physician's certificate of negative skin test or a chest X-ray for tuberculosis completed within one year.  Do not send X-ray film.

  • Health Insurance

Applicants must provide certification of current health insurance coverage for the following criteria:
⇒ The policy is valid for the entire academic year;
⇒ the medical benefit is at least $50,000 per illness or injury;
⇒ the repatriation benefit is at least $7,500;
⇒ the medical medical evacuation benefit is at least $10,000.
Note:  You must present a copy of your updated policy to the Admissions Office each time it is renewed.

  • Copy of Valid Passport

Applicants must submit a legible copy of their passport.

  • $100.00 Application Fee

Check/Money Order: payable to Cuesta College
Credit Card: payable in myCuesta portal.  Email for fee to be posted.

Submit the required items by the following methods:

Postal mail: Cuesta College Admissions, PO Box 8106, San Luis Obispo CA 93403-8106
Shipping address: Highway One, Building 7400, San Luis Obispo CA 93405
Fax:  (805) 546-3975

USCIS Special Instructions for B-1 (Temporary Business) and/or B-2 (Tourist) Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School.