Steps to Start Working:

  1. Find a job.  Check out Career Connections!  They can help you create a resume, apply for jobs, build interview skills, etc.
  2. Have your new supervisor fill out the F-1 On-Campus Employment Letter, and have a DSO sign it.
  3. Apply for a Social Security Number at the Social Security Administration. Guidelines for F-1 students can be found here.  We suggest you make an appointment if you don't want to wait in line!

You will need to provide them with following:

  • Your F-1 On-Campus Employment Letter
  • Original I-20
  • Valid F-1 Visa
  • I-94 travel record
  1. Once your Social Security card arrives in the mail (takes up to 2 weeks), bring it to Human Resources and complete the rest of your employment paperwork.  You will also need to provide recent TB skin test clearance and fingerprinting (free to students who have paid their Health Center Fee).
  2. Upon completion of paperwork and attending the new employee orientation, you will be cleared by Human Resources and can begin working! 


Other Employment Options (Off-campus):

Off-campus employment refers to work, internship, research opportunities located outside the Cuesta College system.

Available to 2nd year students if relevant to your academic program of study.

3 Types:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)- Authorized by Immigration Services before completion of academic program.  Must be an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program.
  • Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training (Pre-OPT)- Authorized by USCIS before completion of academic program when CPT is not an option
  • Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (Post-OPT)- Authorized by USCIS and used after completion of academic program. An extension is an option for students in STEM Fields.

Learn more about these employment options for F-1 students.