Academic Complaint Process Steps for Students

  1. Talk to the instructor to attempt a resolution. Normally the issue can be resolved when contacting the professor (email or in person). If the student does not wish or is unable to speak to the instructor, they may move forward to Step 2.
  2. If the instructor was unable to resolve the situation, if the student is dissatisfied with the outcome, or if the student did not want to start at Step 1, speak to the Department/Division Chair.  Please review the Academic Division page to find the appropriate Department Chair.
  3. If the Department Chair is unable to resolve the complaint, the student may complete the Student Complaint and Resolution Form.  This form will be reviewed by the appropriate Dean, who will follow up with the student.
  4. If the appropriate Dean cannot resolve the complaint, the student may file a Formal Grievance with the Vice President of Student Success and Support Programs. Please contact the Student Support Resolution Coordinator (SSRC) for more support during this step. 
  5. The following types of complaints or concerns are referred to the Vice President of Human Resources and Labor Relations and Title IX Compliance Coordinator, and will be addressed pursuant to Policy 1565 (Unlawful Discrimination) and not as a student grievance:
    -Sexual Harassment
    -Civil Rights discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, race, national origin, religious believes, age, gender, color, physical or mental disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or marital status
    -Retaliation for filing a sexual harassment or other unlawful discrimination complaint, referring a matter for investigation, participating in an investigation of a complaint, serving as an advocate for an alleged victim or alleged offender, or who otherwise furthers the principles of the district's unlawful discrimination policy. (Policy 1565)
  6. If all prior steps have been taken and no resolution has been reached, the student has the right to pursue their complaint with the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office (CCCCO).  The CCCCO provides students and others with a method and process, outside of the institution, that investigates and responds to complaints regarding the institution.
    The CCCCO has provided this disclosure in compliance with the requirements of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, as regulated in CFR 34, Sections 600.9 (b) (3) and 668.43 (b).