- Directly face the mountain lion and make yourself as large as possible, standing straight up, raising your arms.
- Do not approach the mountain lion.
- Do not bend down or go into a kneeling position; your smaller appearance may make you look like a four-legged prey animal
- Do not turn and run. Running may encourage the mountain lion to chase.
- If you have a small child with you, pick him/her up so they do not panic and run. Try to avoid turning away as you pick the child up.
- Finally, if the mountain lion is aggressive, throw stones, branches , etc.
- If an attack is unavoidable, fight back! There are many cases of lions being driven off. Always try to remain standing; if knocked down, get back up immediately!