Internships/ Work Experience
Why Do an Internship?
In a highly competitive job market, you will need to make yourself stand out among others. Since employers prefer to hire those who have career-related work experience, internships can be crucial to your job search. The experience you gain might not perfectly match your major or your chosen career path, but it will give you transferable skills, a notable work ethic, and a competitive edge. Your internship experience will also expose you to professionalism and allow you to observe how skills and ideas are applied in the real world.
- Gain Work Experience
- Create a Competitive Edge in the Job Market
- Networking Opportunities
- Decide if a Field is Right for You
- Apply Classroom Knowledge to the Real World
- Develop your Resume and Build Confidence
If you are ready for on-the-job training, the Internship Program is for you. An internship
provides on-the-job training in a skilled or professional level work environment related
to a student's area of study.
As an intern, you:
- Enroll in a WEXP course or Internship Course and earn academic credit for paid or volunteer positions
- Learn about your chosen career
- Acquire hands-on job experience in a carefully-structured and individualized program
- Experience current practices in your chosen filed
- Obtain professional guidance in interviewing techniques, job search, and resume development
Assistance in obtaining an internship:
- Make an appointment with your Career Connections staff to start the referral process
- For your appointment, bring copies of your resume and unofficial transcripts