Under Senate Bill 68, a student1 (other than a nonimmigrant alien2) is exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges if the student meets all of the following four requirements, as applicable:

 1Under Senate Bill 68, a “nonimmigrant alien” within the meaning 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(15) is not entitled to claim the exemption. These provisions identify a number of categories of visitors to the United States who have a form of temporary lawful status, but do not intend to establish residency.

2Within the meaning of paragraph (15) of subsection (a) of Section 1101 of the United States Code.

3 California General Educational Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), and California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). 

How do I apply?

  1. Complete California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request
  2. Submit official (sealed or electronic) transcripts, from a high school, adult school, elementary, secondary or combination to validate three or more years of full-time coursework completed at a California school established by the State Board of Education.  Home schooling must be validated by the high school district the student would have attended as acceptance of three years of high school attendance.
  3. Proof of high school diploma or completion GED or high school proficiency exam in California.

Non-resident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of non-resident tuition and are classified as "non-residents" of California.  The California Dream Act of 2011 allows undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB540 to be eligible for specified financial aid.

Allow 3-5 business days for processing.  If approved, students can view updated residency status and nonresident fee adjustments in myCuesta.   If request denied, student will be notified to student's myCuesta student email.

 Statement of Legal Residence - California Residency Classification

Students wishing to request California residency reclassification must submit a Statement of Legal Residence.  The burden of proof to clearly demonstrate both physical presence in California and intent to establish California residence lies with the student in accordance with Education Code 68040.