• Most transfer institutions do not compute a GPA for a P/NP course, however in some instances a passing grade is computed at a 2.0 level, potential adversely affecting a student's overall GPA score.
  • Most transfer institutions, including CSU and UC, require courses for the major to be completed with a letter grade, therefore a P grade may result in a student needing to retake a course.
  • Many transfer institutions restrict the allowable transfer units that may be taken as P/NP. 

Courses identified as "GP" under grading option in the Cuesta College Catalog, or P in Class Finder under Grade Options may be taken for pass/no pass (P/NP) grading. Students are responsible for all assignments and examinations required for the course. The standards of evaluation are identical for all students in the course. A student electing to be evaluated on the "pass/no pass" basis will receive both course credit and unit credit upon satisfactory completion of the course.

  • In computing a student's grade point average (GPA), grades of P/NP are omitted. However, units attempted for which the symbol "NP" is recorded shall be considered in probation and dismissal procedures.

    • A pass grade is granted for performance that is equivalent to the letter grade of "C" (2.0) or better.

    • A student, who fails to perform satisfactorily, less than a "C" (2.0), will be assigned a "no pass" (NP) grade.

  • Students may enroll in only one course per semester on a P/NP option. The student may, however, repeat the course for a letter grade to alleviate a substandard grade.

  • No more than 12 units of P/NP may be applied to the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.

  • Students, who have selected the P/NP grading option, may change back to a letter grade.

    • prior to the fourth week of a full-term course; or

    • 20% deadline for a short course, which is equivalent to the drop without a W deadline. 

After the fourth week of a full-term course or 20% deadline, students may not reverse their P/NP grading option.

How do I change a class to Pass/No Pass grading?

  1. Check that you are within the deadline (end of the fourth week of a full-term class or equivalent to the Drop Without a W deadline for a short course).  P/NP deadline is posted in the Class Finder by clicking on the CRN after search results.
  2. Complete the Petition for Pass/No Pass Grading.
  3. Submit the form to Enrollment Services within the deadline. Photo ID required.