Consult with a counselor or the Cuesta College Transfer Center to verify that you are on track to receive general education certification.  You may submit CSU GE and/or IGETC certification within two terms of completing coursework at Cuesta College.  Allow 15 days to process.

  1. Complete application: CSU GE and or IGETC Certification Application
  2. Order official transcripts when requested by transfer school

CSU General Education - Breadth Requirements

The CSU General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) program allows California community college transfer students to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for any CSU campus prior to transfer.

The GE-Breadth is a lower division 39 semester credit pattern with specified courses in five areas, each of which requires a minimum number of courses and credits. These credits can be transferred from and certified by a California Community College. "Certification" is the official notification from a California Community College that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower-division general education requirements. Students will be required to complete a minimum of 9 semester credits of upper division general education work after transfer to a CSU.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum is a general education program that California Community College transfer students can use to fulfill lower-division general education requirements at a California State University or University of California campus prior to transfer. IGETC can be a good option if you know you want to transfer, but don't know if you will go to a UC or a CSU.

IGETC requirements are divided into five areas of study. The areas define a specific number of courses and credits that must be fulfilled to satisfy the IGETC requirements. Grades of "C" or better are required in each course. A grade of "Credit" or "Pass" may be used if the community college's grading policy states that "Credit" or "Pass" is equivalent to a grade of "C" or better. (You will be required to complete at least 9 semester credits of upper-division general education work after transfer to a CSU campus.)