Federal Work Study
For Cuesta College Departments or Off-Campus Employers:
Follow these steps to hire a Federal Work Study (FWS) student:
- Set up an employer account at the Cuesta Jobs Link to post a "Federal Work-Study" position.
- Hire a "FWS Eligible" student. (FWS Eligible = enrolled in 6 units, meeting SAP, has financial aid eligibility to accommodate up to a $3000 award intended to last the entire Academic Year).
- Fill out the Short-Term/Temporary Employment Application, Student Employment Confirmation, Referral & Job Description, in the FWS Forms box on this page.
- Send to Financial Aid for processing where the Director of Financial Aid will sign the as the Responsible Manager.
- The FWS Coordinator will process the documents and send them to Human Resources.
- Human Resources contacts the student to arrange TB Testing, Fingerprinting, and New Employee Orientation.
- Human Resources will contact the Department for a start date and they will notify them that a student is cleared for work.
- FWS will only pay for hours the student works as of the date they are cleared to work by HR. FWS students can work no more than 8 hours a day or 20 hours a week.
- Supervisor signed timesheets are due the 20th of each month (to the FWS Coordinator). (Timesheets not received will be reported with 0 hours for the month).
- Contact the Employment Services Coordinator in Career Connections for Off-Campus FWS Jobs.
Need to check eligibility? Contact our FWS Coordinator Alejandra Aguirre
Do Not Allow a Student to Work Until They Have Been Cleared to Work by HR!
Students Who Work Before They Clear HR Must Be Paid Out of Your Department's Funds!