Loan Application Process
- Federal Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education after high school.
- The lender is the U.S. Department of Education (the Department), but... the entity you deal with, your loan servicer, can be a private business.
- Visit www.studentaid.gov for more information about types of Federal Direct Loans.
- For Parent loans, at Cuesta we require a student to borrow the maximum amount they are eligible for first, and if a parent loan is approved it will be applied second. To apply please visit www.studentaid.gov
How to Request a Loan...
- Submit a FAFSA
- Complete Your File
- Complete the Following Steps According to Your Status. Only fill out one form, if you have questions please call us! 805-546-3143
(You have never taken out a Federal Direct Loan before)
(You have already taken out a Federal Direct Loan at Cuesta or another institution)
- If you need to modify your loan to decrease (If it has already been processed or within 30 days of disbursement) or increase it, complete the electronic Direct Loan Modification Form.
- Student loans are a serious commitment, you are required to pay them back even if you drop out, do not complete your education, or are unsatisfied with the education you receive.
- You are not required to borrow the maximum amounts.
Having trouble repaying your loan(s), help is available!
Find out more about repaying your loans!