Federal Programs (e.g. Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans)

To receive federal financial aid, you MUST:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number;
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED, CHSPE, home school graduate—see Ability-to-Benefit policy for exceptions);
  • Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student;
  • Register with the Selective Service, if you are male. If you're a male U.S. citizen (or eligible noncitizen) between the ages of 18 and 26, you must register with the Selective Service;
  • Meet satisfactory academic progress standards;
  • Not be in default or delinquency on federal education loans, or owe any federal grant money to any institution; AND
  • Not be ineligible due to convictions for any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid;


California State Programs (e.g. Cal Grant, California College Promise Grant)

To receive state funding, the California Student Aid Commission requires that you MUST:

  • Be a California resident or have AB-540 status*;
  • Be a U.S. citizen, eligible non-citizen, or undocumented person with AB-540 status*;
  • Meet U.S. Selective Service requirements;
  • Attend an eligible California qualifying postsecondary institution;
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 units) to receive the Cal Grant;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined at school of attendance;
  • Have family income and assets below the established ceilings; AND
  • Not be in default on any student loan or owe any federal or state over-payments.

*AB-540 status confers some of the benefits of residency, including eligibility for the California College Promise Grant and the Cal Grant Program, on non-resident students (including undocumented students) who attended a California high school. Check the Admissions and Records web page for more details on how to apply for AB-540 status.