Appeals and Petitions
PLEASE ALLOW 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR PROCESSING. FORMS MUST BE POSTMARKED OR EMAILED BY DEADLINE. CHECK YOUR STUDENT PORTAL OR STUDENT EMAIL ON STATUS OF APPEAL.
Submit forms by the following methods:
- From student email account to email@example.com
For the security and protection of your student record, submit all forms via your myCuesta student email which requires login authentication.
- By fax (805) 546-3975
- By US postal mail: Cuesta College Enrollment Services, PO Box 8106, San Luis Obispo CA 93403-8106
Questions? Enter our Virtual Office, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(Preferred browser to access dynamic/fillable forms is Google Chrome.)
Students may petition to have their academic record reviewed for academic renewal of substandard academic performance. Grade alleviation of coursework for any term/session to be disregarded if conditions are met. View Policy
Add classes online in myCuesta within deadlines. As of first class meeting, instructor issued add code required. If submitting Add Card, it must be postmarked, faxed, emailed or brought in-person within deadline with government-issued photo ID. View Policy
- Add Card
- Readmit Card: Student inadvertently dropped or was dropped by instructor and needs to be re-enrolled.
- Transfer Card: Transfer from one CRN to another of exact same course and same start/end date.
- Late Add Petition: Missed add deadline due to extenuating circumstances?
Submit Late Add Petition, which will be sent to instructor for approval. Participation and attendance before add deadline is required. DO NOT SUBMIT IF CLASS HAS NOT STARTED! If class is closed/full, you need to place yourself on the waitlist if available.
Correct/update date of birth, educational goal, name, or Social Security on Cuesta records. Submit form with government-issued photo ID. View information that can be changed online in myCuesta Student Self Service.
- Change of Information Form: To correct birthdate, update educational goal, or release of Directory Information.
- Change Educational Level Form: Submit if highest level of education completed reported incorrectly on admission application.
- Change Name Form: To update/change legal name on Cuesta records. Submit form with copy of government-issued ID. For Federal financial aid, legal name must be identical to name on Social Security card.
- Change/Update Social Security Number Form: To update or correct Social Security number on records, submit form with copy of Social Security card.
Dropping a course? Take our Course Withdrawal Questionnaire to determine what drop you are eligible for.
Drop classes online in myCuesta within deadlines. If submitting Drop Card, it must be postmarked, faxed, emailed, or brought in person within deadline with government-issued photo ID. View Policy
Find out what type of drop your are eligible for before dropping your course here: Course Withdrawal Questionnaire
- Drop Card
- Petition to Drop without W & Partial Refund: Drop without W deadline is end of second week for full term course, and includes a partial refund. Deadline to drop without W for short term or summer course is within 20% and includes partial refund if within 10% of course.
- Military Withdrawal: Withdrawal from All Classes Card
FOR STUDENTS LOOKING TO DROP COURSES DURING CURRENT SEMESTER (NO GRADE RECEIVED)
- Petition to Drop for Excused Withdrawal (EW): Request for an EW grade, which is not counted in academic standing or course repetition. Documentation verifying extenuating circumstances beyond student's control must be submitted.
FOR STUDENTS LOOKING TO REPLACE A GRADE WITH AN EW (GRADE RECEIVED)
- Past Semester Petition to Drop for Excused Withdrawal (EW): Request for an EW grade, which is not counted in academic standing or course repetition. Documentation verifying extenuating circumstances beyond student's control must be submitted. Deadline within 180 days after grade assigned.
- Current students may obtain a copy of their enrollment records for no cost via the myCuesta portal. Click here: How to Print Enrollment Verification
- National Student Clearinghouse provides students, alumni, employers, and other organizations instant online enrollment verification and/or degree verification results.
Appeal of degree requirements such as health, diversity, catalog rights, GE coursework, upper division coursework, or graduation priority registration deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
A FERPA code works in place of a photo ID to allow Cuesta College to verify student identity over the phone. We do this in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects your information as a student.
- Petition for Substitution/Waiver of Associate Degree or Certificate Requirements: By Cuesta counselor recommendation and approval of Division Chair and Instructional Dean.
- Associate Degree Application
- Certificate Application
- CSU GE Certification
- IGETC Certification
- Replacement of Certificate or Diploma: Replace diploma or certificate. View Policy & Fee
Documentation of Independent Student Status: Homeless Youth under 25 years of age, who has been verified during the 24 months immediately preceding the receipt of his or her admission application may be eligible for early priority registration. View Policy
The following courses require verification of prerequisite/co-requisite completion prior to registering: List of Computer Enforced Courses
- Form A: Prerequisite Clearance and/or Math & English Placement
- Form B: Prerequisite/Co-requisite Challenge - Based on the grounds provided in Title 5 CCR §55003. View Policy
- Form C: Physics Evaluation Form - for clearance of Physics courses completed at an institution other than Cuesta by Physics Department Chair.
Students may petition for reinstatement one-time only based on specific criteria. A current Comprehensive Student Education Plan is required.
Form: Evaluation Policy Appeal (Graduation Priority)
Degree applicants who are continuing students (currently enrolled) with 12 credits completed in residency, who will be completing their remaining AA, AS, Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) degree or transfer requirements within one semester at Cuesta must submit degree application by deadline posted in Student Planning Calendar. Submit Evaluation Policy Appeal if application not submitted by deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
Students will be held financially responsible for fees related to classes not dropped within the refund deadlines. Refer to the Student Financial Responsibility statement for more information. View policy: How to receive a refund
- Petition to Repeat Course Prior Substandard Grades - Previously received 3 or more substandard grades/withdrawals. Will be 4th attempt to pass course.
- Petition to Repeat Course Prior C or Higher Grade
- Repeat Same Course in Same Term - Enroll in two or more sections of the same repeatable credit course during the same term as long as they are not enrolled in more than one section at any given time for the length of the course.
- Third Enrollment Agreement - Previously completed the class two times but did not pass. This will be third attempt to repeat and pass the class.
- Request to Update GPA/Course History for Repeated Course - Request GPA and course alleviation for Cuesta class repeated for a passing grade at another school.
Submit request for reclassification of residency status. View Residency Policy
- California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form (AB540): Exemption from paying nonresident tuition if student meets four requirements. Official transcripts must be submitted to Cuesta. View Policy
- Statement of Legal Residence Form: California residency reclassification request. Submit with supporting documentation.
- (Enrichment Students Only) Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request - for Dual Enrollment students enrolled at Cuesta while concurrently attending Grades 6-12.
Military Members and Dependents of Military
- Form for: Discharged Member or Dependent maintained CA as home of record
- Active Member or Dependent Living/Stationed in California
- Discharged Member Stations in California within last year
- AB 13 (VACA) Exempt for Members or Dependent Eligible for Assistance under Chapter 30, Chapter 31, or Chapter 33
Click here: Place Transcript Order
Order official transcripts online by either electronic (PDF) or hard-copy/paper. Students may access unofficial transcripts in the myCuesta portal. Go to Student Service Service portlet. On the right, click on Student Records then "View Unofficial Transcripts."