Experience the thrill of sailing with seasoned veteran, Eoin Duffy, on the waters of Avila Bay. This class offers sailing classes for participants, ages 16 and up. Classes cover basic sailing theory, parts of the boat, crew communications, tacking, jibing, sail trim, man overboard, docking, safety and more. Classes are taught in accordance with the American Sailing Association (ASA). Fee includes a textbook and tests. Upon successful completion of class and passing the ASA Exam, an additional $39 will be collected by the instructor for students wishing to get certified. The certificate is internationally recognized and can be used to help qualify for rental of sailboats worldwide.
The San Luis Yacht Club Board approved use of their club boat, Second Wind, to be used for ASA 101 classes taught by Eoin Duffy subject to the following guidelines:
- Masks are required at all times
- Social distancing will be practiced whenever possible
- All students will fill out the Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability statements
- The San Luis Yacht Club clubhouse will not be used for the lecture portion of the classes (During COVID the classes will meet outside the Mermaid Market at 3915 Avila Beach Drive beside the boat hoist in Port San Luis)
- Students will spend limited time in the cabin of Second Wind
DATES: 4 meetings:
*Due to lack of space in the boatyard, spring Sailing class are postponed until this situation is resolved. To be added to an interest list, email us at CommunityPrograms@cuesta.edu and we will contact when registration is set to open.
- Sat/Sun, January 8, 9, 15, and 16, 2022 - Register Online (coming soon*)
- Sat/Sun, February 12, 13, 19, and 20, 2022 - Register Online (coming soon*)
- Sat/Sun, March 12, 13, 19, and 20, 2022 - Register Online (coming soon*)
- Sat/Sun, April 9, 10, 16, and 17, 2022 - Register Online (coming soon*)
TIME: 10:00am - 3:00pm
FEE: $450 + $39 collected by instructor for optional certification
LOCATION: Classes will meet outside the Mermaid Market at 3915 Avila Beach Drive beside the boat hoist in Port San Luis
INSTRUCTOR: Eoin Duffy
QUESTIONS: Contact instructor at email@example.com
|Meet the instructor|
Eoin Duffy started sailing as a teenager on Dublin Bay, Ireland in what he describes as “sometime in the last century.” He joined the local sailing club as a cadet member and gained experience racing and cruising with the older members in a variety of sailboats. After settling into a one-design class, he spent many years campaigning the British designed racing dinghy, the GP14, throughout the UK and Ireland. When not racing, Eoin took advantage of the opportunity to do some extensive cruising in larger boats around his home waters.
He began teaching as a volunteer instructor with Les Glénans, a French sailing club/school
which has bases throughout Europe. After moving to the USA, he worked for some years
as an instructor with the California Sailing Academy in Marina del Rey. In recent
years, Eoin has held monthly classes as the chief instructor with the San Luis