Jr. College for Kids
CLASS SCHEDULE RELEASED: March 27, 2020
REGISTRATION OPENS: April 08, 2020 May 01 (tentative)
Jr. College for Kids launched in the summer of 2018 as the result of over a year of planning and collaboration between Camp Fire and Cuesta College Community Programs. The program is designed for students entering Kindergarten through 4th grades in the fall. By partnering with Camp Fire, we are building on 30+ years of College for Kids success by expanding the curriculum to include younger children for the first time.
Every week will feature a different theme and activities using Camp Fire's proven curriculum. You can see more details about each week by viewing our Session Calendar (coming soon).
Check out the sample Daily Schedule to see what a day-in-the-life looks like for our Jr. College for Kids students.
Session 1: June 15th-18th
Trail to Knowing Me: Children learn about relationships, improve communication skills, gain self-knowledge, and learn how to stay healthy and safe.
- AM Session: Creative Communications - Children will explore their values and emotions while learning to appreciate the values and emotions of others. Children will learn successful techniques for interacting with their peers and practice communication skills.
- PM Session: Happy & Healthy - Children will learn healthy fitness habits, how to care for their bodies and learn the process of planning meals and cooking. They will also acquire an understanding of how to stay safe through learning about fire safety, public safety resources, and first aid skills.
Session 2: June 22nd-25th
Trail to exploring STEM: (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math): One of the most exciting parts of science—of any kind of learning—is discovering something new. Campers will get to explore and figure out how the world around them works while discovering something new to them. Such an opportunity to explore and discover can ignite a passion for deeper learning. This week will inspire campers to love the STEM fields!
- AM Session: Observation & Inference - This session will encourage kids to get their hands dirty, to be curious and ask questions, and to use what they've learned to spark their imagination.
- PM Session: Exploring Space - Children will understand and be able to explain Earth’s place in the solar system, identify and illustrate each phase of the moon, and model/diagram the reason for the seasons.
Session 3: June 29th-July 2nd
Trail to Family and Community: Children learn about families and communities, how to work as a team, how to become effective leaders, and how to help out in their homes and communities.
- AM Session: My Family, My Town, My World - Children investigate and introduce their family's background, present-day events, and future goals. Children will also explore how symbols are used as expressions at home in decorative arts of people everywhere, in the community, and cultures around the world.
- PM Session: Learning to Lead - Children choose, plan and implement a service project and reflect on their actions. Children will also learn how to plan activities as a group.
Session 4: July 6th-July 9th
Trail to the Environment: Children understand and appreciate the natural world by participating in activities focused on nature, environmental awareness, and animals. Children will explore and take hikes, engage in hands-on learning about earth and life sciences, and gain outdoor skills.
- AM Session: Outdoor Skills - Children will locate objects on maps, learn how to identify objects in nature while exploring density and buoyancy, and a variety of outdoor skills to motivate them on their journeys of exploration!
- PM Session: Nature Awareness - Children increase their awareness and appreciation of the natural world and learn to identify ways people can solve environmental problems.
Session 5: July 13th-July 16th
Trail to Creativity: This trail stimulates children’s creativity and imagination through activities that involve the visual and performing arts. Children will experiment with creating art using various mediums, create music, and participate in the dramatic arts.
- AM Session: Being Creative through Art - Children will express their creativity by making craft items similar to those found in several different cultures.
- PM Session: Being Creative through Music & Drama - Children will use their imaginations to dramatize objects, activities, and situations.
Session 6: July 20th-July 23th
Trail to the Future: Children will develop numerous mental and physical skills needed for their futures. Children will play sports and games to teach sharing, teamwork, and good sportsmanship. Children learn to cook, explore the physical sciences, and learn to stay physically fit.
- AM Session: Wonders of Science - Children explore the concepts of energy and communications.
- PM Session: Fun and Games - Children solve group challenges through cooperation and problem-solving in a fun, entertaining atmosphere!
- Students are supervised at all times.
- If staying for a Full-Day program, please bring a sack lunch.
- Granola bars and fresh fruit will be provided for snack in both Morning and Afternoon session.
- Daily pool time option from 2:00-2:50pm for independent swimmers enrolled in Full-Day and Afternoon-Only.
- Consider bringing a water bottle, closed-toe shoes, hat and/or sunscreen for outdoor play, layers of clothing for variable weather, swimsuit (Full-Day and Afternoon students), and any additional snacks desired.
- Full day includes a supervised lunch period from 12:30-1pm
- Thursdays will include a special theme and closing ceremony
- Extended care is available before and after the sessions.